Monday, August 26, 2013

Rain, rain and how about some more rain?

Aloha!
Well this week has been a really great week despite all of the rain! We have finished up week one of training and really gotten a feel of how well we teach together. You know on the District 2 DVDs when the girls says, “I’m not training sister Voyles, She came pre-trained!” That’s pretty much how I feel about Sister Smith! She is super magaling in al of the work! She’s always happy and never homesick. J I’m so grateful to have her as my companion!
. Actually that is a really funny story we were out finding people that were on the former investigators section and we went all the way (way far) Out to this one investigators house and she wasn’t there;9 but her daughter was and she is really active and likes to work with the missionaries and stuff so she said we could still teach her…. So I made Sister Smith teach the whole lesson of the Restoration. Haha. She left out a few parts, and obviously her grammar wasn’t the best… but she did soooo good! I was way impressed!
We’ve definitely been working this week in all of the rain and floods, we didn’t know that we weren't supposed to, so now we will repent…. By working even harder. Actually after all o the rain had dried up and the roads were clear we were working again in one of our areas where we had been working all week and there was a giant dead snake on the road left over from the flood water…… um…. We definitely had the protection from the Lord over the last couple of days.
The branch here really is so helpful in missionary work. I can’t figure out why the attendance is so low every Sunday because they are doing so much to help the church grow here. Anything that we need (fellowshippers, forms, 15 focus) they get it to us right away! We are almost always working with fellowshippers and everyone does a really great job with fellowshipping on Sunday. What’s the real concern?
We have a couple of really great investigators right now, the Capuchino family. A family that Sister Boekweg taught way back in the day and they stopped progressing but I think now might be the time. J It’s a family of six and when we teach, they all listen J…. Okay so we have only taught them once so far…. But they are totally going to get baptized. And the other two are Kathlyn and Denmark. They have a lot of changing to do, but they both come from really broken families and I think they really can feel that the gospel can help them in their lives.
One day when we were going to teach Denmark, I said “who are we going to teach right now?” And Sister Smith responded, “German I think? Ah! Denmark! I knew it was some European country.” Haha she is so funny! And she like to run! Yes! Thank you Heavenly Father for answering my prayers!
It flooded so bad this week that we took a tryce to one of our areas and it flooded inside of the cab while we were inside…. It’s a little deep.
Oh! And you know what! Once upon a time, it rained REALLY bad in Paoay. And we taught a lesson and then it wasn’t raining. Well then we get to the other side of Paoay and it started raining… no umbrella. I forgot it at the last appointment. I’m not talking a casual rain here. It was pouring! I was soaked and so freezing! Someone gave my their broken umbrella and I pretty much used it as a blanket. I was so cold L Sister Smith did try to share hers with me, but she’s so tall! By the time it got down to me there was nothing blocking it anymore L And I got the run-off from her umbrella. L Needless to say I was a little wet.
Later that day there was a black out…. No lights anywhere and pouring rain… we might have gone home early. I felt super guilty. Then later that week when we had interviews, I found out that we weren’t even supposed to go out that day because of the bad weather, President just didn’t have our number, so we never got the text. L oops!
I had a really great time at interviews this week, I feel like it helped me a lot more to feel like I was actually a part of the Philippines Laoag Mission, up to this point I’ve kinda felt like I don’t know anyone and that I was just kind of going solo in everything that I did, but this week I really felt a lot more connected to President and Sister Barrientos and also to the Zone…. Even if there are a billion of us. J
Sister Smith and I haven’t been sleeping too well…. Which for her is understandable because she probably still has jet lag. We both wake up at about 5 every morning. By the time 9pm rolls around we are both so exhausted that we can barely think!
Today as you know is p-day! Sister Smith washed her clothes for the first time today by hand…. Well I might have helped a little. But I’m so proud! My little anak is growing up! I can hardly believe she’s already 2 weeks old!
While we were working in the flood water too this week…. There was definitely a downed wire that we saw in one…. But don’t worry we didn’t see it until we were already halfway through… the feeling kind of resembles that moment when you tip your chair just a little too far back…
 
-Sister Schultz (Shorts)

1 comment:

  1. You can send some of that rain over here. We did get some rain this past weekend. Keep the news coming. Howdy Howdy

    ReplyDelete